The Schooling Program at Equest contributes to the horses’ well being by riding and schooling them in a manner that keeps the horses fit, agile, balanced, supple, relaxed and able to perform their job to the best of their ability. Research has proven when therapy horses are schooled on a regular basis, they stay sounder and are more comfortable in therapy settings than horses that are not.
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be able to ride with a secure seat, correct alignment, balanced weight distribution, and strong and effective aids
- Must have the ability to communicate with the horses in a beneficial manner both mounted and unmounted
- Must posses a thorough understanding of equine psychology and behavior
- Skills required include: Riding the horse on the bit, working knowledge of diagonals and leads, ability to bend and supple the horse, lateral movements such as leg yielding, side passing, turn on the forehand and haunches, simple lead changes, warm up and cool down procedures, and the ability to identify unsoundness, stiffness, gait and behavioral problems.